Sunday, 21 November 2010

Vegan Marshmallow project

After I came home from the West Midlands Vegan Festival with a few bags of Vegan Marshmallow and ate them all within a few days I decided I needed to be able to make these delicious things myself.
I found This blog for Vegan Marshmallows (as it happens, this is the recipe which gave me the idea for my blog)
I am currently working on getting all the items on the ingredients list and this is where I've found to get them:


Soy Protein Isolate 90%: Holland and Barrett sell this, I ordered online and got a strawberry flavoured one too 
guar gum: I haven't found this in quantities less than 1Kg, 1Kg bag of Guar gum but apparently Xanthan gum is a good enough substitute, available at flourbin.com and probably on the high st.
light corn syrup: The stateside candy company sell this, but there is also a "No corn syrup" version of the recipe 
Genutine Vegetarian Gelatin: I can't find Genutine brand but apparently Dr. Oetkers Vege-gel is very similar and available at sainsburys amongst others. (not all branches of Sainsbury's stock it, I had to email their customer services to find out if any of my local stores did.)

Update: I made the first attempt last night. I hadn't got any Dr. Oetker's Vege-gel so I used Vege-set which is carrageenan gum based but doesn't have the locust bean... 

It seemed to go pretty well, I didn't take any photos during the process as I had my hands full most of the time :) The end result looked like this though:












I had a small issue with the marshmallow being excessively moist and absorbing a lot of the powdered sugar, I've asked Dave for his advice and we'll see how the second attempt goes. I'll get a helper to photograph the process too...

4 comments:

  1. Would agar not work as gelatin? Alsooo you can find corn syrup in food halls of big department stalls (I've found it in House of Fraser in B'ham) and indie health food stores/bigger supermarkets will stock xanthan gum in 'free from' sections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still working on the marshmallow recipe, but I'm slowed down mostly by the fat that I am trying to lose weight and when you cook up a batch of basically foamy sugar that's not really conducive to calorie cutting.
    I will try with agar and some other variations and report back when I've figured out the problems...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fyi, I found vege-gel at Tesco and Budgens too. It seems to be becoming more commonly available :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. any updates on the recipe? :)

    ReplyDelete