So this is the daunting first post of my new blog.
I am a Vegan in the UK, that might have been obvious from the blog title but I thought I'd re-iterate it here. My intention is to chronicle some of the recipes I've tried and maybe succeeded in cooking. A lot of the recipes I find are written by people on the other side of the Atlantic where they have ingredients that are hard to find here in the UK. My primary focus for the blog is going to be those recipes where I've had to do a bit of searching to find what I need and then list where I found them. Hopefully if anyone ever reads this they might be able to help find other sources for the ingredients and I will compile a reference list.
I'll start with this one for Vegan Ribz
These things are delicious, and I've fed them to meat eaters who agree!
The ingredients are:
1) 1 cup vital wheat gluten
2) 2 teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika
3) 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
4) 2 teaspoons onion powder
5) 1 teaspoon garlic powder
6) 3/4 cup water
7) 2 tablespoons peanut butter, tahini or other nut butter
8) 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
1) I found wheat gluten at flourbin.com they have a minimum order value of £10 but they sell a lot of useful stuff there so it's easy to make a £10 order.
2) Is also conveniently available at flourbin.com :)
3) This is pretty easy to find in Holland and Barrett and other similar shops
4) I get this at a stall in the market of the Victoria Centre in Nottingham, flourbin also sell this. The stuff I get is not so much powder as dried onion flakes which give the ribz a nice texture.
5) Again, the market stall or flourbin
6) the tap in my kitchen :D
7) I think I'm going to skip the obvious ones in future posts :)
8) This was the last tricky thing to find, there are a number of different brands and places that sell them online but my favourite is hot headz hickory liquid smoke
So now you have a recipe and the information on how to get the ingredients in the UK so go make it!